Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do-or-Die Decision...What would you choose?


Oh geez... Where am I now?
I look around and...and it seems like I’m in a courtyard? Or maybe a square? There’s a large crowd of people ahead of me, so I walk up to them to figure out what’s going on. The stench is awful here, and it actually looks like there’s a castle up ahead too. I’m beginning to think that I’ve been transported to the middle-ages now. 
I force my way to the beginning of the crowd, just in time to see the ‘big event’. An execution.... “The following persons are being fully justified to the extent of their crimes!” said a man looking to be of great stature in this time period. “They are a reminder to all, that all we want here in Trantyn is peace!” 
The crowd erupts in “ooohh’s” and ‘“booo’s” showing their disagreement, but it’s mistaken by The Man (that’s what I’m calling the man informing the crowd of what’s going on) as applause. 
“Without further procrastination....The first trial!” The Man announces a name and what he is charged with. That person walks over to the guillotine, and almost habitually gets prepared. A woman is flooding in tears behind him - it must be his wife or something. “Three....two....one!” 
I turned my head. I can’t imagine watching someone’s life end. The people here, though, seem so calm about it. I mean, even The Man seemed like he had no shame or guilt for basically being the one ordering them to death. Granted, he wasn’t the one who actually ordered them to death, but he was the one who fulfilled the order. So really, shouldn’t he be guilty of murder?
It’s strange too, however, that not one person seemed to exclaim in objection toward what was going on. I guess if they had, they’d just be inviting themselves to a life-sentence as well... I guess that’s also why The Man did what he was told without question. If he hadn’t, he’d probably have to suffer punishment as well. Ultimately, it might as well be described as a fear of punishment to punish others...
Personally, I feel like people either way are guilty. Ending someone’s life - no matter what the reason, or how directly involved someone is - is a HUGE ‘no no’. It’s just wrong. I don’t even have to describe it. However, I understand that if one person doesn’t follow that order, another ultimately will. I also realize, that depending purely on the circumstances, it is almost inevitable for some people to say no. But really, if someone truly was against killing and murdering, they should just accept the fate, and object. That’s what I’d do... or hope I’d do.
For example, in the Holocaust, death was almost inescapable if one didn’t obey orders. It was still wrong to fulfill the orders, but the fear of the consequences are what fueled the motivation to complete the orders. Nazis even claimed that for this reason, they were helpless to their crimes. The article “Can You Learn Anything From a Void?” written by Adam Kirsch, describes the actions of some Nazis during the Holocaust. The article, though opposing what was done, did realize to an extent the consequences of that time period. “Such men did not make the decisions in the Nazi empire, they only carried them out; and if they had not obeyed their evil orders, someone else would have obeyed them.”
This same power abusive mentality can be seen in Macbeth through Macbeth’s executions of innocent people. It follows exactly with what I had witnessed at the square...or courtyard? I’m still not sure. 
I think ultimately the question comes down to this: Are you willing to end someone’s life to save yours? Or would you rather save your conscience by showing objection?
Most people would say that they’d choose the second, but if the circumstances were right, I wouldn’t be surprised if people folded on what they’d said... You would definitely find out who the courageous people are...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alli,

    Good response to the writing prompt. I really enjoyed your creative approach. I think an imaginative exercise in which one tries to put oneself in the shoes of another is the only way to approximate the moral dilemma of the bystander. As you acknowledge, we can never really know how we'd act in circumstances similar to ones described in "Macbeth" or the Holocaust. You did well to cite the article and connect it to your argument and the play. Good job.

    ReplyDelete