Thursday, April 5, 2012

Each Player

I posted the first one from my phone, and did not realize that it would appear as one conglomeration of words.  So hopefully this one looks much neater...


Each Player

Simple sport,
Of year round play
Our swift team
Moves the ball that way.


We are all
Pieces of the team.
But do not let
That break the beam.

Each ONE of us,
Each single player,
Deserves that clap,
That cheer, that stare.

For it is I,
And she and you
Who make up the team
And performs each move.

Each pass.
Each shot.
Each run. 
Each slot.

Each simple play,
Made by one person.
They all have an impact.
To better or to worsen.

So do not think
That one small mistake
Will not harm
The result we make.

For that is false.
We each combine
To make this team
We all call 'Mine'.


In the poem The Fly by William Blake, he uses very short lines and quatrains. So, to resemble that, I did the same (granted, I had more stanzas because I needed to get to at least 25 lines). Just like Blake, I rhymed the second and fourth lines of each stanza, which I personally think adds to and helps the flow of the entire poem itself. However, instead of focusing on the impact of life itself, like Blake did in The Fly, I focused on the importance of the individual. And to do that, I used the most well known thing of my knowledge - a soccer team. I focused on how some may not think they’re important on a team, but how in reality, every person impacts the team in a different way. So for those who think their mistake doesn’t matter, they are wrong. The theme of individualism was one of the Romantic period, and I believe that I was able to portray that from a team-perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your poem and rationale. You did a good job of mimicking the poetic structure of Blake's "The Fly." I also appreciated your attempt to balance in your poem the Romantic theme of individualism with the necessity of teamwork to achieve a goal. You could say--to use a cheesy soccer pun--that your poem was "kicking." Good job.

    ReplyDelete